Thursday, January 21, 2016

Ustina Finds Redemption

 
This painting was inspired by the novel, "Laurus", by Eugene Vodolazkin. What an amazing book. I couldn't put it down as I was drawn into medieval Russian world. The author created a fabulous work of art. The painting is my interpretation of the character, "Ustina", a tragic figure for who the main character seeks a journey for her redemption. The novel is thoroughly religious and speaks to the religious mindset and worldview and makes no apology for it. It is very understandable for those who retain and know Christian spirituality, particularly Orthodox spirituality. I wanted to portray the character in a spiritual and iconographic fashion with a mix of my own style and modernism. I figured it would be fun to work mainly in cool blues for the face and oranges, reds, and brown for the contrasting background.

No comments:

Post a Comment